Friday, July 3, 2020

Chapter 5. Snow Birding 101

A Snow Bird in modern parlance is someone who having reached retirement age finally realizes that unless you have a special fondness for high heating bills and snow shovels, you should migrate south for the winter months.  Some buy condos or waterfront homes in the Miami area.  Others fly to Caribbean Villas to wait out old man winter.  But let's face it.  We are here to discuss the more adventurous approach of purchasing a rolling home of immense proportions that you don't at first know anything about, let alone know how to maneuver the leviathan.

We've talked about how your Captain and clan thought about, purchased and practiced diesel pusher camping.  Now let's get down to the Kyber Rifles, as Gunga Din would say.  In fewer words, let's go south. 

After exhaustive research consisting of recalling the only RV Resort we knew of in Florida, the Commodorable made a reservation for a six month stay at the Pelican Lake Motor Coach Resort in Naples, Florida.  I'm sure that the Captain did something useful regarding the "Snow Bird" plan, but I simply cannot recall it at the moment.

Captain and clan did a few more practice weekends anticipating a Thanksgiving period departure from Maryland.  Among the things we learned on these excursions were:

Although the Captain purchased portable fencing to retain our puppy inventory at 3 units, we discovered how clever our little Houdinis were at escaping the escape-proof enclosure we designed. Each weekend included a "round up" of the clever little buggers, and adjustments to the enclosure design. Finally, we attained Leavenworth Prison level security. 

Had our first experiences with the dreaded $100 fuel purchase limit at self service pumps. This caused the otherwise serene Captain to entertain uncivil thoughts about the middle eastern station owner, who was less than helpful, insisting that I buy my 125 gallons of fuel 25 gallons at a time. American Express called me to inquire if the bizarre purchasing pattern was actually my transaction.  I explained that apparently I had made a wrong turn and was purchasing fuel from a rug merchant in Baghdad.  They understood.




Abdul of Abdul's Fuel and IED Supply

Learned that auxiliary brakes for the towed vehicle are not just required by law...they are ESSENTIAL when the Obama bumper stickered Volvo pulls out in front of you without even slowing down to look for oncoming traffic. I do believe that my air horn blew him out of harm's way that day.  


Handicapped Driver inside (blind) and his seeing eye dog was napping.

Purchased the new RViBrake, with remote monitoring of the Jeep's tire pressures and the braking action. THIS IS A TRULY GREAT SYSTEM. (I wanted the SMI Air Force One, but I couldn't get it installed in time for the trip to the Shenandoah Valley and on to Florida.) 

Tuesday prior to Thanksgiving, drove in heavy rain and wind to Lynchburg, Va via The Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel, Richmond and Charlottesville. For several nights, slept in the coach with the outside temps in the high teens. The furnace and heated floors worked like a charm! 

Left Lynchburg on Saturday morning. Arrived Jacksonville, Fl. around dark, due to several hours of holdups caused by highway accidents. (All were on the northbound side, but the rubbernecking added more than two hours to our travel time.) Stayed in a Walmart for the first time. Nice manager and security personnel there. 

Left early Sunday morning and drove to Naples. Checked in at Pelican Lake, set up the Westie prison, and enjoyed several refreshing tequila beverages.  





Beautiful Pelican Lake Club House


Total trip was 1350 miles, in all weather conditions. Drove thru 3 long tunnels without knocking the mirrors off the semi trucks passing thru.( In a tunnel the Beast has learned to become wider somehow.)  Brought the fuel economy up to 5.7 mpg. I think the "economy" setting on the transmission helped.    I had hoped for more, but then again, every four years I hope for an intelligent congress...oh well.

Overall, I really love the American Coach. The factory folks have helped me far more than I have any reason to expect. Before buying this coach, I looked at Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, Country Coach, Travel Supreme, and Beaver. I'm sure that the top of each of their lines would've satisfied our needs, but now I'm hooked. Barring a profound change in the American Coach quality of production and quality of service, I will remain an Heritage client. (Bought my first Mercedes nearly 30 years ago and for the same reasons, I've stayed with them...six cars in a row.)  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let the Captain know your thoughts...